A dolman cardigan by Irina Anikeeva
Wool People Vol. 12
Printed pattern, 12 pages
From Brooklyn Tweed: Featuring a knit and purl take on woven seersucker fabric, Dunes is a light cardigan that is both warm and breathable, making it an ideal companion during the changing seasons. Short dolman sleeves keep the piece simultaneously sleek and comfortably oversized, while the overall textural pattern reads like grains of sand under a magnifying glass. Knit with Arbor in the color Degas, Dunes bears the ephemeral quality of a sunset casting its warm, pink glow, but Arbor’s full color palette provides ample inspiration for taking this piece to a different feel and spirit.
This cardigan is worked in one piece from the bottom up to underarms, then fronts and back are worked separately. Shoulders are sewn together. The cuffs are picked up and worked circularly and the collar is picked up and worked back and forth. The Dunes stitch pattern may be worked from either charts or written instructions.
- 10 (11, 13, 14, 15) skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee Wool; 145 yards/50 grams)
- Photographed in color Degas
- 1450 (1580, 1750, 1950, 2175) total yards of DK weight wool yarn
- 21 stitches & 27 rows = 4″ in Dunes Stitch with Size A needle, after blocking
Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 32″ circular needle in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One each 32″ and 47″ circular needles and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)*, two sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
- 41½ (46, 49, 52, 55)” [105.5 (117, 124.5, 132, 139.5) cm] circumference at bust (with fronts overlapping)
- Intended Ease: + 6–8″ [15-20.5 cm]
- Sample shown is size 46″ [115 cm] with 14″ [35.5 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- 2×2 Tubular Cast On
- Backward Loop Cast On
- Sloped Bind Off
- 2×2 Tubular Bind Off
- Kitchener Stitch (Grafting)
Please note: the stitch patterns in this garment are both charted and written.
Photos courtesy of Jared Flood/Brooklyn Tweed.
Class fee must be paid in full to reserve your space. Please purchase materials prior to the start of class.
Students receive a 10% storewide discount upon registering for class. Discount is valid on class materials plus any purchases through the last day of class; please remind cashier of your class enrollment. Sorry, no additional discounts on sale items or class fees.
You may cancel up to one week before the first class for a full refund (otherwise, no refunds or make-ups for missed classes). We may cancel classes that don't fill.
Unless otherwise noted, classes are intended for students 16+ years old.
Please call us at 503-439-3316.