A textured pullover with side slits designed by Kirsten Johnstone
Wool People Vol. 12
Printed pattern, 20 pages
From Brooklyn Tweed: For a bold piece that catches the eye from any angle, look no further than Hirst. With subtle grass stitch columns that turn diagonally at the raglan seams, dramatic side vents, and a high-low hemline, this garment is one that playfully entertains while remaining sleek and refined.
This garment in Arbor is worked flat in pieces from the bottom up, then sewn together. The rolled neck collar (or optional crew neck collar) is picked up and worked circularly after garment assembly. Incorporated I-Cord is used to finish the open vent edges of the back and front.
- 11 (12, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18) skeins Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (100% American Targhee Wool; 145 yards/50 grams) - photographed in color Heron
- 1520 (1635, 1740, 1865, 1975, 2090, 2315, 2520) total yards of DK weight wool yarn
- 23 stitches & 33 rows = 4″ in Grass Stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
- 21 stitches & 33 rows = 4″ in stockinette stitch with Size A needle(s), after blocking
Note: Be sure to swatch both stitch patterns.
Size A (for Main Fabric and 1×1 Ribbing)
- One pair of straight needles or a 24″ circular needle* and one 16″ circular needle in size needed to obtain gauge
- Suggested Size: 4½ mm (US 7)
Size B (for Grass Stitch Ribbing and Tubular Cast On)
- One pair of straight needles or a 24″ circular needle*, one size smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 4 mm (US 6)
Size C (optional; for Double-Layered Crew Neck only)
- One circular needle of any length, two sizes larger than Size A
- Suggested Size: 5 mm (US 8)
*Knitter’s preferred style of needle may be used.
- 33½ (36, 38½, 41, 43½, 46, 51, 55½)” [85 (91.5, 98, 104, 110.5, 117, 129.5, 141) cm] circumference at bust
- Intended Ease: + 2–4″ [5–10 cm]
- Shown in size 36″ [91.5 cm] with 4″ [10 cm] ease on model
Tutorials for all special techniques listed below are included in the pattern:
- Incorporated I-Cord
- Garter Stitch Selvedge
- 1×1 Tubular Cast On
- 1×1 Tubular Bind Off
- Kitchener Stitch (Grafting)
- Sloped Bind Off
Photos courtesy of Jared Flood/Brooklyn Tweed.